Sunday, April 6, 2008

Love

Some years back I heard that love is "The feeling you feel, that you feel you have never felt before!"

That is an interesting look...I once had an abscesed molar. The pain was so intense, I could not sit for more than five minutes at a time. Even the trip to the doctor, was tough. We had to stop every five minutes so I could get out of the car and relieve the pain. Now, that was a feeling that I had never felt before, and I gotta tell ya, I didn't love it!

But is love a feeling at all?

Some would say love is a four letter word...

From where comes our understanding of what love is?

We say, I really love my new Hummer H3!

I love being in Hawaii during the winter!

I love seeing you at work.

I love having a regular paycheck.

Do these statements infer something about possessing, or owning?

When we consider our relationships, do we use "love" to project our desire for ownership or possession?

When I say to someone, "I love you" am I in reality saying, I would like to have you for one of my possessions?

Wow! That may have something to say about the people who are part of a relationship break up, and yet will not let go. We hear about someone killing another because they don't want to have them be with anyone but them.

The Biblical definition of love is: "That a [man] lay down [his] life for another."

Now, that is diameterically opposite of possessing.

When I speak of loving you, am I confessing I am willing to lay down my life for you; or am I saying, I would really like to have you as part of my possessions?

Seems like being able to understand how I interpret "love" would have a great deal of impact on my relationships.

Guess I need to get out my resources and do a little bit of research.

No comments: