Sunday, September 14, 2008

Meat loaf, anyone? UPDATED

Perhaps I will hear from Katherine whether this is a common recipe, or if it is really a figment of my imagination...anyway, in a few hours I will know how it turns out.

In a large bowl place about a pound of hamburger, toss in two xl eggs, about 4 ounces of Italian bread crumbs, coupla dashes of hot sauce, half a red onion, one yellow (don't really know if the color makes a diff or not) bell pepper, and half a pound of Andoullie sausage (ground up).

Next, mix it all up by hand, so everything sticks together.

Place about half of the mixture in a crock pot, or slow cooker, {whatever!} and place turkey bacon across the meat, with each slice overlapping.

On top of the bacon, place a couple of slices of pepper jack cheese.

Then top off the loaf with the rest of the meat mixture.

Cover, and turn on the crock pot, and wait...

Unfortunately, I cook to please myself, making items I think will be good...I never claimed to be a chef or a nutritionist...just plain ole me.

And, one of the best things I have ever come across is Andoullie sausage...of course, in all honesty, when in Hawaii, you can't beat Portugese sausage.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I also added a 4oz can of diced green chiles to the mixture.

I think in hindsight, I would place pepper jack cheese on both sides of the bacon.

Anyway, the meatloaf turned out awesome...it is even good in a sandwich the day after.

In some ways I am a purist with food, I don't care to have ketchup or sauce on my meatloaf, cuz, I wanna taste the ingredients; so there you have it.

No comments: