Saturday, September 17, 2016

cogitating again

So, this morning, I was relaxing, listenning to the radio, when my ears were assaulted by a commercial for tires. What penetrated my mind was the idea that if you purchased so many of certain tires you would get an immediate rebate of $75.
 
I guess, over my lifetime, I have benefitted from rebates of some kind. However, this morning the idea just struck me wrong. If the business has the money to give an immediate rebate, why not just lower the price that amount? Ah, but as the old circus owner once quipped "a sucker and his money are soon parted". Why do we like the idea of getting something back, more than having a lower price?
 
Guess that is why scams are so popular where you are invited to send a thousand dollars to recive a million dollars; only to realize you won't be getting anything.
 
My old father-in-law said it pretty succinctly, "too soon old, too late smart!"

No comments: