Saturday, February 15, 2020

The time's they are a changing

How interesting...Loretta Lynn has mentioned that country music is dead.
 
I could have told her that years ago.
 
Having been born in the 40s, I grew up on country music @ KLAK radio in Denver. I vividly recall how the music transitioned to rockabilly and into rock and roll. Which was followed by heavy metal, acid rock, disco and what we call rock and roll today.
 
For the past twenty years I have been here, and listened mostly to KXRB the local country station. I guess it was probably in the 80s but moreso in the 90s when country music began sounding much like the rockabilly of the 50s. It didn't take long for the music to start sounding like the beginning of rock and roll.
 
Probably two years ago or so, KXRB had a change of ownership/leadership and came up with an additional FM station. Since there was a lot of music played during the week that sounded so much like rock and roll I reserved my listening to Saturday when the day was committed to country classics. Even that changed somewhat because the classics were no longer played by the original artists but by covers of more recent artists and claimed to be classics.
 
Perhaps the debarkation point came for me last year when the station implemented "country variety". Yes! variety. I suppose we could sit and debate, all day, what variety might mean. In my mind, it was an open door to transitioning to a more rock and roll format.
 
Then, about half way through last year, the format changed again, and classic Saturday became classic Saturday afternoon, from 12 to 6. Most recently, classic Saturday is no longer a part of the programming.
 
Yes, I know, change is the only constant. Didn't someone, somewhere, say there is nothing new under the sun, what has been will be?
 
Well, that is enough for today.

No comments: