Saturday, February 8, 2020

Social media

The time has come to put away childish things. I think that is what I am thinking.
 
I guess it has been about 12 years, or so, I have maintained an account on face book: that social media that took the internet by storm some years ago.
 
The childish part that I mentioned was how I spent the majority of time on facebook playing games. The bingo games available definitely held my attention for hours at a time.
 
Truth be told there were friends I kept up to date with that I will miss. I first met Breda many years ago, on a blog she maintained. I do not remember the name of the blog, but she caught my attention and was able to keep it.
 
I met Katherine through her blog Smoky Mountain Cafe. A transplanted Louisianan to Tennessee. With facebook, she didn't need to maintain the blog mch anymore.
 
Lori, whom I met when we were driving school bus back, seems like centuries ago. She no longer utilized email, and thus kept me up to date with her photos and adventures through facebook. We still call and text on occasion and get together every once in a while for coffee of lunch.
 
It seems, to me, there is value in social media. Though it can become an addiction like anything else that will consume your time and attention.
 
After the many years I participated in facebook, recently I ran up against their algorithims for logging in. Within a two week period, I was locked out the system, which refused to verify my loggin security information. Three times in that two weeks I was forced to change my password in order to log in. The fourth time I was prompted to change my password, I decided, enough is enough. My world does not revolve around facebook. I do not have a "smart phone" that would keep me in constant contact with any social media on the internet, so why get my granny pants in a wad over petty stuff. Ergo, I emailed the support people and asked them to remove my account.
 
Thus I have come back to this blog I started a number of years ago, who anyone can access.
 
May the Good Lord bless and keep you, til we meet again.

No comments: