Sunday, September 15, 2019

Passing thoughts

Have you ever said something along the lines of: “You are as bad as a two year old”?  Think about it for a moment!  What is so “bad” about being a two year old?

What comes to mind is the picture of small children asking a lot of questions and finding excitement in seeing and learning new things. As adults, we just don’t have the time and patience to be answering questions all the time {in fact, aren’t we a little perturbed that no one has the time for our questions?}, or lolly gagging around to see the beauty of a rock or water flowing in a stream.

We talk a lot about “adult supervision” as if adults really know it all. And we talk a lot about “don’t waste time”; “time is money”; “we only have so many minutes in an hour, or so many hours in a day, and so many days in a year”. Well, I am worn out just thinking about that.  Makes my mind tired.

“At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”  Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt 18:1-3, NKJV)

WOW!  Just when my adulting is getting really geared up to show how great I am, how erudite I can be, how special I have become over the years; reality smacks me up side the head, and reminds me that there is something special about being like a two year old.  And as I look around my world, I see so many examples of how we have allowed ourselves to lose the awesomeness of life; the awesomeness of Creation.

No comments: